In general, when properly maintained, tested, and installed by a professional, furnaces run without problem. However, there might come a time you have to understand the difference between an ordinary Furnace Repair West Bloomfield MI and emergency furnace repair.
You need to leave your house right away if you smell gas.
Before you try to fix the issue, you have to ensure first that every person in your house is safe. Everybody needs to leave your house right away if you smell a weird odor.
Keep in mind that you can’t see or smell natural gas. That’s why mercaptan is added to it. This substance adds a foul odor to natural gas. You can easily identify the smell since it smells like a rotten egg. Thus, you can recognize right away if there’s a gas leak in your home.
Things to do:
- If it’s safe, turn off the gas. Then, contact an emergency team immediately.
- If the service call is delayed, consider keeping your family out of your home. Until the gas leak is repaired, plan to stay somewhere else.
- When calling for service, do it outside or in your neighbor.
- Leave your car in the garage. You can cause an explosion if you start your vehicle.
- Don’t use your cellphone or telephone in the house.
- Leave the windows open. You have to open a couple of windows quickly if you are able to do it on the way out.
- Don’t turn the stove on.
- Don’t turn off or on any lights.
- Get your family out right away.
The System is rapidly turning Off and On
There are a lot of reasons why a furnace is rapidly cycling. This is where the system turns off and on again too quickly. One reason might be a worn-out or dirty air filter. You should replace your air filter if you haven’t replaced it for quite some time. It is easy and quick.
You might have a more severe problem if replacing the filter does not solve the issue. There might be a problem with the belts and blower motor. You’ll have to call a professional.
Loud and Unusual Noises
A furnace might be often running fine. However, it might produce a loud sound. Insulating the ductwork to lower the noise might be the solution if you are certain that the noise is coming from the air running through the ductwork. You might have to call a professional for inspection if the furnace system is the one making loud sounds.
Electricity plays a vital part in how a house functions. People count on the electrical system of your house to give power whenever they require it. Of course, electricity could be powering your cooling and heating systems.
Whenever the system is on, the lights in your home shouldn’t flicker. An expert should be the one who will address electrical problems. You can help recognize and avoid possible threats if you know the basics of your electrical system. However, it’s still best to leave it to the experts.